Examples of how Restraining Orders in Hillsborough County Florida are abused
Probably the best way to illustrate how Restraining Orders in Hillsborough County Florida are abused is to present what a domestic violence victims assistance advocate has told us:
• I have witnessed Restraining Orders in Hillsborough County issued just because a family member gave another family member "a dirty look"
• I am also seeing law enforcement officers seeking Restraining Orders just to get the girlfriend exited from the shared living space, or simply out of their life.
• I also observe real abusers turning the domestic violence system on their victims by getting the Restraining Order first.
• The consistent percentage of domestic violence plaintiffs by male/ female is 22% male 78% female. Men also abuse the domestic violence system as well.
• One of my memorable cases was a woman who had filed a Restraining Order in Hillsborough County against a law enforcement officer. They had a history of drama .
When I interviewed her she played the victim role well. The defendant brought an attorney with him, the victims demanded $5,000 to drop the restraining orders. She also wanted additional money awarded if he ever contacted her again. The Restraining Order in Hillsborough County was dropped by the plaintiff. I am not aware of any dollars exchanging hands.
About a year later, the same woman was in a nearby county with a different defendant she had a Restraining Order against, and she dropped it as well.